Popular Posts

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Pad Thai with Tofu and Baby Corn

I got home late last night and wanted something quick and easy for dinner. I work late every Wednesday evening so I try to make dinner something quick and easy (previously I would have tucked into a takeaway, McDonalds, KFC, Fish and Chips...everything not so good for you).

I found this weight watchers Pad Thai recipe and set my mind on making it. Should I have make it again I probably would make some changes. Seeing that I'd forgotten to defrost chicken I thought I'd give Tofu a go. I would suggest that if you're going to use Tofu for this recipe that you marinate the Tofu in the sauce or buy pre-marinated tofu, that it isn't so plain the final dish. I found the tofu to be somewhat bland.

I also made the mistake of not cutting up the baby corn into smaller pieces, the 'baby' corn didn't feel so 'baby' when I was trying to eat it.

All in all it was nice. I think next time I'd prefer to use chicken over Tofu. I particularly liked the sweetness of the peanut butter, and the tanginess of the lime juice that made up the sauce.
 
 
This dish has 11 Pro-points (points-plus) and Serves 4 people.

Ingredients
200g Wide Rice Noodles (dry)
1 tablespoon Canola Oil
375g Firm Tofu (or Chicken), cut into 1cm cubes
1 red Onion, cut into small wedges
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can Baby Corn, drained
1 Bunch, Choy Sum, rinsed and chopped
1/2 Cup Coriander, chopped finely (use for garnishing)
1/4 Cup Basil, chopped finely (use for garnishing)

Sauce:
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 teaspoons Fish Sauce
2 tablespoons Lime Juice
2 tablespoons Peanut Butter (Crunchy or Smooth)

Mix all of these ingredients to make a sweet and tangy sauce.

Method
1. Place noodles in a bowl, and pour over boiling water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes then drain and set aside.
2. Heat up oil in a pan and add your desired protein (tofu or chicken), allow to cook through and become golden brown. Remove from Pan and set aside.
3. Add onion and allow to sauté until translucent.
4. Add garlic and allow to sauté for 30 seconds.
5. Add Choy Sum and Baby Corn, allow vegetables to become tender.
6. Add the Tofu/Chicken, Noodles and Sauce.
7. Mix to combine.
8. Serve in bowls and garnish with the chopped coriander and basil.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment