Popular Posts

Saturday 25 October 2014

Orange Syrup Soaked Sponge Cake

I had a craving for something sweet, I was having a lazy Saturday night at home and knew that if I let myself get too out of control I would end up splurging my 49 weekly pro-points(points-plus) plus a few extra on things that  I really didn't want to eat, but the fact that they would satisfy the hand to mouth habit that I had so aptly inherited from my father would mean that I'd happily just throw it down the hatch and swallow. I set on finding a cake that would satisfy my want for something sweet, but also let me stay within my daily allowance too.  I ended up stumbling across this Orange Syrup Soaked Sponge cake on the weight watchers recipes site (it was originally a lemon and lime soaked sponge cake, but all I had was oranges...and I wasn't prepared to go to the store) which was a happy 3 pro-points per serving (and let me tell you, you get more than a slither of this delicious citrus dessert).

This delicious cake is 3 pro-points per serving and has 8 Serves. 

Ingredients: 
Sponge- 
3 whole eggs (small)
75g Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange rind (grated)
 75g Self-raising flour
Pinch of Salt (this is optional, but it helps with the sweetness)

Syrup- 
3/4 cup Orange Juice (freshly squeezed)
25g Icing (confectioners) sugar

Method:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180C or 375F
2. Line and grease a 20cm baking tin with parchment paper.
2. Place eggs, sugar, vanilla & orange rind into a bowl, whisk on high for 5 minutes using an electric hand mixer (you can also use a stand mixer - that's what I used). You want the eggs to become thick, creamy, pale in color and when you take the beaters out the eggs should leave a ribbon. 
3. In a separate bowl mix your Self-Raising flour and salt. 
4. When the eggs are done, sift the flour mixture over the eggs and fold in gently (you don't want to stir it, otherwise you will loose all the air that you worked so hard to get in there). 
5. Pour into baking dish and bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer placed in the centre comes out clean. 
6. Remove from oven, and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin. 
7. Place orange juice and icing sugar into a small saucepan and heat the mixture just until the sugar has been dissolved. 
8. Spoon all of the syrup over the cake (at first I thought there was too much, but it needs to soak all the way through the cake, so it's just the perfect amount). You may see it pool on areas of the cake, but be patient, it will be absorbed. 
9. Cut into 8 pieces 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment